The Internet Defense League

Monday, November 21, 2011

Procrastination, and the productivity of distraction

Dreading what you want is never conducive to productivity. For much of my life, I have wanted to put out a bound book of my poetry. Now I have that chance, albeit on a small scale (everyone starts somewhere) and the proofs are just sitting there. Admittedly, I’ve been busy. But now is the time to push myself to do it. One of Warren Buffett's principles, as noted by the reliable source of a sign on the wall at Jimmy Johns (which I had ample time to view while working there) is 'no thumb-twiddling.' I agree. Once you’ve made up your mind, act on your decision, without pausing to dread the work involved. It’s an approach to life that results in more productivity and less dread. Procrastination is one of several self-imposed forms of misery; people laugh about it, but as a veteran procrastinator, I know what despair and desperation can result! This does not mean that I commit to never engaging in it again- no, it is an exceptional source of what may be called the 'productivity of distraction.' Things such as cleaning the house, writing poetry, and, yes, blogging, instead of the form of productivity you are distracting yourself from. It does, however, mean that I am trying to make the productivity of distraction a rational choice, rather than a default mode of life. Now, on to editing those proofs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your posts respectful- no profanity, personal attacks, or spam, so all readers can enjoy the site. Feel free to agree, disagree, or suggest related topics or links!